snowdeal logo

archives archives

ex machina

the eric update - day 1134: Odin The Activist.

odin stayed up a little later than usual to show his support for a local moratorium and livestock siting ordinance to prevent large scale confinement hog farms from coming to the region. for a variety of reasons the hog industry is targeting the area and it has become a hotbutton issue that boils down to the how to find the right balance between the property rights of a small number of farmers interested in large scale confinement operations and the public health and quality of life issues for every else, including the hogs themselves. and it's certainly no small matter for those of us who enjoy the quality of life the region has to offer, considering the effects other areas have felt after being targeted:

"Klinkner, who is 61 years old and raises beef cattle while also selling insurance, says he has difficulty describing to the degree the large scale hog farms destroyed Davis County’s rural community.

"There is no more community, everybody hates each other," Klinkner said. "About 10 percent of the people have completely ruined the entire way of life for the other 90 percent of the people.""
take some time to read "swine of the times" and "boss hog" for some perspective on how conventional pork gets to your dinner table.

even if you don't live in a rural area you can help by supporting small, independent organic hog farmers that believe in pasturing like those that supply organic prairie ( disclaimer: organic prairie is owned by my employer ).

bookmark: ::digg it ::furl ::reddit ::yahoo ::
7/30/2007 11:05:00 PM 0 comments


Post a Comment

[ rhetoric ]

"it is hard to be brave," said piglet, sniffing slightly, "when you're only a Very Small Animal." rabbit, who had begun to write very busily, looked up and said: "it is because you are a very small animal that you will be Useful in the adventure before us."

the complete tales & poems of winnie the pooh

[ about ]

this site chronicles the continuing adventures of my son, odin, who was unexpectedly born on the fourth of july at 25 weeks gestation, weighing 1 pound 7 ounces.

he's quite a fighter and you can always send him a postcard to the most current address listed here if you're inspired by his adventures. see the postcard project/google maps mashup to see a map of the postcards.

if you're new, you can browse the archives to catch up. and don't forget to watch a few movies that i made while we were in the neonatal intensive care unit. or if you want the abridged version and you can find a copy, you can read about his adventures in the november 2005 issue of parents magazine.

[ search ]

[ outbound ]

daddytypes / blogging baby /

rebeldad / thingamababy / The Continuing Adventures of Super-Preemie / dooce /

[ schwag ]

look snazzy and support the site at the same time by buying some snowdeal schwag!

[ et cetera ]

valid xhtml 1.0?

This site designed by
Eric C. Snowdeal III .
© 2000-2005